I hold a master's degree in interaction design from L’Ecole de Design Nantes Atlantique and Ph.D. in design from Arts et Métiers ParisTech. I was also granted a postdoctoral fellowship from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
I am Pierrick Thébault, a product design generalist & proficient programmer.
During my career, I have learned to work within different contexts (R&D department, academia, startup, consultancy), both directly with clients and within a multidisciplinary team. As a design practitioner interested in the design of products that better support people in making decisions, I follow a constructive research approach where the creation of a system, artifact or media takes a central role and becomes the key means in building up knowledge. I leverage a wide range of qualitative methods and prototyping techniques to design usable, useful and desirable solutions.
Years of experience designing user experiences
— collaborating with data scientists and machine learning engineers
— running a B2B SaaS
— building and managing
a product & brand design team
2018 — 2022 · Chief Product and Technology Officer
Product strategy and implementation of a CRM dedicated to real-estate professionals.
- Management of 3 developers and 1 product designer,
- Development of 2 applications (B2B+B2C) and various microservices (API/webhooks),
- Architecture, implementation and deployment of a data platform (200,000+ processed leads),
- Fundraising of 1 million euros.
2016 — 2018 · Chief Design Officer
Product and design strategy of privacy-enhancing search applications.
- Management of a 11-members team (UX/UI designers, graphic/motion designers),
- Deployment of a design system and a complete rebranding,
- Redesign of the search engine (60 million visits / month),
- 2 implemented proof-of-concepts of video and audio search (Universal Music, TF1),
- 1 mobile application (iOS/Android) with 200,000+ downloads.
AXA Data Innovation Lab
2015 — 2016 · Lead designer
Specification, design and implementation of horizontal and vertical big data solutions.
- Co-supervision of multidisciplinary projects (design, data science, actuary, computer science) in collaboration with business lines or entities of the AXA Group,
- 4 industrialized applications deployed in different countries,
- Implementation of software assets (data visualizations, rules engine, dashboards),
- Prototyping of new services (car telematics and internet of things).
MIT SENSEable City Lab
2013 — 2015 · Design Researcher
Design and implementation of visualization tools for large urban datasets.
- Multidisciplinary projects (design, mathematics, urban planning) in collaboration with international companies (banking, telecommunications, car manufacturing, etc.),
- 2 transferred applications (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, Ericsson Innovation Center),
- 2 exhibited applications (Venice Architecture Biennale, Singapore National Museum),
- Organization of user tests.
2009 — 2012 · Design Researcher
Design of applications for the Internet of Things and the Smart City.
- Multidisciplinary projects (design, usability, computer science) in collaboration with several research units,
- 3-month exchange in Bell Labs Belgium,
- Participation to 3 European projects (iCore, Butler, DIYse),
- Organization of creativity workshops and user tests.
2008 — 2009 · Freelance Designer
Design of user interfaces for professionals.
- 2 projects of collaborative platforms, 1 e-commerce portal,
- Design specifications (customer journey map, information architecture, wireframes, visual assets, boilerplates),
- Foresight expert for Orange Labs.
Talks & courses
2008 — 2023
Currently NOTfor hire
I am open to short term consultancy jobs and public speaking opportunities. Feel free to drop me a line by email if you want to discussion potential collaborations.
Pierrick Thébault - 2023